running at lunchtime tends to be traumatic

I finally outran the shin splints and the wheezing and the leg cramps last night. NOW I remember why I do this again.

This week, I was getting worried. Since the weather finally broke sometime while I was busy being sick last weekend, I decided I should actually stick to some sort of real running schedule. But apparently, I needed more time to adjust to this weather shock before attempting to run in the middle of the day, in 90-degree weather.

I was uncharacteristically organized on Tuesday, with a four-and-a-half mile route that I had actually bothered to look up ahead of time (so I could avoid that familiar lunchtime panic of being completely and utterly lost with only 20 minutes to get back to the office and no idea which direction back to the office might be). But I still ended up in a panic because I ran my four miles at a glacially slow pace. Because I didn’t really RUN at all. Because I was dying so much I kept having to take walk breaks every few minutes.

Days like that make me wonder what the hell I’ve gotten myself into. Four miles just wasn’t happening for me. But tack another 22.2 on the end there? I’m sure I’ll be FINE. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

The other day, one of my co-workers wanted to know if the marathon route would take us past his house in downtown Baltimore.

“Aw, Paul, are you gonna stand on your porch and cheer us on?”

“No. I just want to know if traffic’s going to get all screwed up with the roads being closed.”

Gee. Thanks.

At any rate, Josh and I had cause to look at the route for the first time, and, as the three of us stood clustered around my computer staring at the winding dotted line, something finally dawned on me: 26.2 miles is a freaking long-ass distance, not just a big number.  

“Huh,” Josh said, staring at the screen.

“Yeah,” I agreed.

“Wow, you guys are going to be running through some really sketchy neighborhoods,” Paul chuckled, completely unperturbed.  


**Unrelated news: my computer really has gone on the fritz again, so I had to send it in to the shop for repairs. For the second time in less than two years. I have the worst luck with computers. Thank goodness for warranties. At any rate, I don’t have a computer, so I’ve been writing these by hand and just typing them up when I can. Thus, there is kind of a dramatic disconnect between the time when they were written and when they’re posted. Just a public service announcement.

Speaking of public service announcements, here’s another one: if you have medicine that says “take with food,” you should definitely take it with food. Otherwise, it may make you feel as though you are having a heart attack. Or how I would imagine a heart attack feels. Don’t ask me how I found this out. It will only give you even greater doubts than you already have about my level of intelligence and/or common sense.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s